Accredited HVAC Schools in Louisiana
A growing number of HVAC workers choose to enroll in accredited programs that have been evaluated by industry accrediting agencies for their curriculum, faculty, and facilities. For a complete explanation of the accrediting process, visit the website for either agency listed below.
Two main organizations accredit HVAC programs: the Partnership for Air-Conditioning, Heating, Refrigeration Accreditation (PAHRA), and HVAC Excellence. As of February 2021, there were no PAHRA-accredited programs in the state, although there were several with approval from HVAC Excellence. Here are the HVAC programs in Louisiana that have been accredited by HVAC Excellence:
- Baton Rouge Community College (Acadian and Elayn Hunt campuses)
- Central Louisiana Technical Community College (Alexandria and Natchitoches campuses)
- Delgado Community College (Metairie and New Orleans campuses)
- Fletcher Technical Community College (Thibodaux)
- ITI Technical College (Baton Rouge)
- Louisiana Delta Community College (West Monroe)
- Northshore Technical Community College (Bogalusa)
- River Parishes Community College (Reserve)
- South Louisiana Community College (Lafayette and Morgan City campuses)
Some of these are mentioned in the list below.
Delgado Community College
Delgado Community College offers a certificate of technical studies in HVAC/R and a technical diploma in the master HVAC/R technician program. The program combines classroom instruction with hands-on training in a lab studying industrial, commercial, and residential HVAC/R equipment. Students in these programs receive the required training needed for a successful career in this HVAC/R field.
The certificate is made up of 30 credits including courses such as building code and licensing, electrical fundamentals, NCCER technical core, tubing fabrication and fitting, principles of refrigeration, residential system design, electrical components and motors, a survey of computer applications, computer and internet literacy, and first aid.
The technical diploma comprises 57 credits. All courses mentioned above are included in this curriculum with additional coursework in the theory of residential air conditioning, residential air conditioning: theory and practice, introduction to commercial air conditioning, introduction to commercial refrigeration, fundamentals of accounting, building science for HVAC, building engineer hydronics, residential gas heating, and residential heat pumps.
- Location: Metairie, LA; New Orleans, LA
- Accreditation: Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Expected Time to Completion: Certificate (nine months); diploma (18 months)
- Estimated Tuition: $169.96 per-credit
Blue Cliff College
Blue Cliff College has campuses in Houma and Lafayette that offer an HVAC diploma. Preparing students for entry-level employment in the HVAC industry, this diploma program helps students in learning about installing, maintaining, diagnosing, and repairing HVAC systems. Upon completion, graduates will be prepared to take the EPA Clean Air Act, section 608, Type I certification exam.
Consisting of 900 clock-hours, this diploma includes courses such as basics of electricity and electrical systems, HVAC/R fundamentals, professionalism for HVAC technicians, blueprint reading, commercial HVAC/R systems, and residential HVAC technology, among others.
The program teaches students about the basics of inspecting, repairing, and maintaining HVAC/R systems, connecting systems to air ducts, water supply lines, and other components, and installing electrical wiring and controls for proper operation.
- Location: Houma, LA; Lafayette, LA
- Accreditation: Accrediting Commission Career Schools and Colleges, (ACCSC)
- Expected Time to Completion: Day program (nine months); evening (12 months)
- Estimated Tuition: $14,778
Central Louisiana Community College
An HVAC/R technical diploma offered at the Central Louisiana Community College is available at the Natchitoches and Alexandria campuses. Providing classroom experience combined with hands-on training, this diploma prepares students for entry-level employment in a variety of jobs in this HVAC/R. After each semester completed in this program, students will receive a competency certificate.
The diploma comprises 45 credits including courses such as HVAC introduction, principles of refrigeration, electrical fundamentals, electrical components, electric motors, domestic refrigeration, residential system design, residential heating, and residential heat pumps, among others.
Students through this program learn about the basics of installing, diagnosing, repairing, and maintaining the operating condition of residential, commercial, and domestic HVAC/R systems.
- Location: Alexandria, LA; Natchitoches, LA
- Accreditation: Accrediting Commission of the Council on Occupational Education (COE); HVAC Excellence
- Expected Time to Completion: Two years
- Estimated Tuition: $8,532
Louisiana Delta Community College
Louisiana Delta Community College offers two technical diplomas in HVAC/R (a technical diploma in commercial refrigeration technician and a technical diploma in residential A/C and refrigeration) providing specialized classroom experience and practical lab experience preparing students for entry-level employment in the HVAC/R service repair industry.
Both programs consist of 45 credits with common courses such as HVAC introduction, principles of refrigeration, electrical fundamentals, electrical components, electric motors, applied electricity and troubleshooting, and job-seeking skills. The commercial refrigeration diploma includes additional coursework in commercial refrigeration I and II, and commercial refrigeration controls I. The residential diploma involves additional courses such as domestic refrigeration, room air conditioners, residential central air conditioning, residential system design residential heating, and residential heat pumps.
Graduates of these programs will have a clear understanding of designing, troubleshooting, and installing residential gas heat, air conditioning, electric heat, and heat pump systems. They will learn about the proper safety procedures, principles of refrigeration, and proper techniques of refrigerant handling. Apart from the diploma, the college also offers a 33-credit certificate of technical studies in HVAC/R energy systems technician, a 28-credit certificate of technical studies in domestic A/C and refrigeration technician, and a 24-credit certificate of technical studies in helper II.
- Location: Monroe, LA
- Accreditation: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- Expected Time to Completion: Two years
- Estimated Tuition: $209.96 per credit