Accredited HVAC Schools in Lubbock, TX
Two industry organizations evaluate HVAC programs. HVAC Excellence has awarded accreditation to Laredo College, Laredo, TX, and Lincoln College of Technology, Grand Prairie, TX.
The Partnership for Air-Conditioning, Heating, Refrigeration Accreditation (PAHRA) has accredited Vernon College, Wichita Falls, TX. Vernon College is included in the schools profiled below due to their accreditation, although Lubbock students would probably need to relocate to attend as the commute is too long to be practical.
South Plains College
South Plains College’s heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration technology (HART) program trains students in installing, servicing, and repairing commercial and residential HVAC for both commercial and domestic refrigeration units.
The college offers students three HVAC programs:
- Residential air conditioning installation technician certificate (24 credits): Coursework includes air conditioning control principles, the principles of refrigeration, basic electricity, residential HVAC, gas and electric heating, installation and service, and a technical elective.
- Commercial refrigeration installation technician certificate (24 credits): Coursework includes commercial refrigeration, advanced electricity, troubleshooting, heat pumps, advanced controls, commercial air conditioning, and specialized commercial refrigeration.
- HVAC/R degree (60 credits): Coursework includes all the classes for the certificates, with the addition of business and professional speech, and general education electives that include math and science.
All three programs require a capstone experience to graduate.
Students planning to enroll in the commercial refrigeration certificate program must first complete the residential HVAC program. All students will complete a job safety exam, the air conditioning, and refrigeration Industry Competency Exam (ICE), and are prepared to take the EPA Section 608 exam.
- Location: Levelland, TX
- Accreditation: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- Expected Time to Completion: Certificates 32 weeks; degree two years
- Estimated Tuition: In-district resident ($162 per credit); out-of-district Texas resident ($298 per credit)
Students at Vernon College can choose an HVAC occupational skills award program, an HVAC level I certificate program or an HVAC associate in applied science degree. All three programs are taught via a combination of classroom lectures and hands-on training in the lab.
The award program starts students with basic electricity, the principles of air conditioning controls, the principles of refrigeration, and workforce development with critical thinking. The program requires 13 credits to complete.
The curriculum for the certificate program continues with coursework that includes residential and commercial air conditioning, refrigeration, gas & electric heating, heat pumps, troubleshooting, and a technology/technician practicum. Students complete 37 credits to earn their certificate.
The degree program incorporates the above coursework, with the addition of general education classes include composition, the federal government, mathematics, and public speaking, among others. Students complete 60 credits to earn their degree.
- Location: Wichita Falls, TX
- Accreditation: PAHRA; Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- Expected Time to Completion: Certificate (32 weeks); degree (two years)
- Estimated Tuition: Wilbarger County residents $110 per credit; Texas residents ($150 per credit)
Lubbock students who are unable to complete an on-campus program may choose online HVAC training. More information is available on the online HVAC training page.