Accredited HVAC Schools in San Antonio
There is more than one path to becoming an HVAC worker with respect to education. To be sure, an aspiring HVAC professional may choose to enroll in a college or vocational school, complete an apprenticeship, or receive training another way.
Southern Careers Institute
Southern Careers Institute’s San Antonio North campus offers a variety of vocational and trade programs. One such program is the HVAC (Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning) program. This program trains students for a successful career in residential as well as commercial HVAC services, so students can take their career in any direction they choose.
Students will learn how to install, maintain and repair essential temperature control equipment used in homes and by business complexes. This 74.5-credit-hour program includes courses such as introduction to HVAC, construction basics, trade safety, heating and cooling, venting and ducting, HVAC electrical, diagnostics and maintenance, and hydronics, among others. Students will also receive instruction in the important aspect of green technology.
After graduating from this program, students may be eligible for the following certifications:
- EPA Certification
- R410A Certified
- HVAC Certification
- NATE Certified
- Green Certification
- Indoor Air Quality Certification
- Preventative Maintenance Certification
- TDLR ACR Certification
Graduates can become eligible to become registered HVAC technicians through the TDLR. They may also find entry-level employment in residential or commercial fields. They will receive training in a variety of heating and cooling systems, and also receive instruction on piping using a wide variety of materials.
- Location: San Antonio, TX
- Accreditation: Council on Occupational Education
- Expected Time to Completion: 36 to 48 weeks
- Estimated Tuition: $19,925 for the program
Alamo Colleges District St. Philip’s College
Aspiring HVAC workers in San Antonio may also choose to enroll at Alamo Colleges District St. Philip’s College, which offers the following programs:
- Air Conditioning and Heating, AAS – This program is made up of 60 credit-hours. It includes courses such as AC control principles, refrigeration principles, residential air conditioning, advanced air conditioning controls, heat pumps, gas and electric heating, air conditioning and troubleshooting, residential air conditioning systems design, air conditioning and refrigeration codes, and more.
- HVAC Installer Level 1 Certificate – This program comprises 24 credit-hours. It involves courses such as AC control principles, refrigeration principles, residential air conditioning, advanced air conditioning controls, air conditioning installation and startup, and HVAC duct fabrication.
- HVAC Technician Level 1 Certificate – As part of this program, students will delve into topics such as AC control principles, refrigeration principles, residential air conditioning, gas and electric heating, advanced air conditioning controls, and heat pumps.
- Basic HVAC Helper (OSA) – This involves courses such as AC control principles, refrigeration principles, and residential air conditioning.
- Basic HVAC Installer (OSA) – The curriculum of this program includes courses such as AC control principles, refrigeration principles, and HVAC duct fabrication.
These programs prepare students for a career in the HVAC industry. They learn how to service HVAC systems, install new systems, and also get prepared for the EPA certification.
- Location: San Antonio, TX
- Accreditation: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- Expected Time to Completion: AAS degree (five semesters); basic HVAC helper (one semester); HVAC installer level 1 certificate (two semesters); HVAC technician level 1 certificate (two semesters); basic HVAC installer (two semesters)
- Estimated Tuition: Texas residents, in-district ($99 per semester-credit-hour); Texas residents, out-of-district ($215 per semester-credit-hour); non- resident ($466 per semester-credit-hour)
South Texas Vocational Technical Institute
South Texas Vocational Technical Institute offers the air conditioning, heating & refrigeration diploma program, preparing students for taking up jobs in both commercial and residential repair and maintenance. The program faculty includes industry-experienced professors with extensive real-world experience. Students will learn to troubleshoot, service, and repair commercial and residential HVAC/R systems.
The air conditioning courses prepare students to learn how to design, construct and operate various A/C unit applications, install unitary and split systems, and examine the construction and design of fiberboard duct air handling systems. Through the refrigeration courses, students will learn about A/C system design, maintenance, installation, and repair, including basic chill water systems.
Students will also be introduced to technician responsibilities as defined by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Clean Air Act, refrigeration piping repair, design and installation of ventilation ducts, and refrigerant reclamation and recycling.
Graduates of this program may be qualified for entry-level employment as a repairer, service technician, or installer as either a contractor or as a full-time employee.
- Location: San Antonio, TX
- Accreditation: Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges
- Expected Time to Completion: 960 hours
- Estimated Tuition: $290 per credit-hour
Finally, those interested in career development in HVAC may also choose to pursue education at the John Wayne Academy, a technical school in San Antonio that prepares students to work in the HVAC industry. The program allows students to work in the field for a portion of the time, while taking classes for the other portion. Aspiring students will need to proceed through a standard hiring process before being considered for admissions, as they are not required to pay tuition, although they must sign an employment contract with the school.